History of Jeans
Boot Cut or Bell Bottoms..
- Bell-bottoms are trousers that become wider from the knees downwards. Related styles include flare, loon pants and boot-cut/leg trousers. Hip-huggers are bell-bottomed, flare, or boot-cut pants that are fitted tightly around the hips and thighs worn by men and women.
- Carpenter jeans are jeans with many pockets and loops which can be used to carry objects such as tools and are often loose around the leg to be able to accommodated the affixed items. They are often used by carpenters, hence the name, to carry their tools so that their hands can be kept free yet the tools are still easily accessible.
- Hip-huggers are a style of pants worn by both men and women, generally made of denim and fitted tightly around the hips and thighs, while flaring out towards the lower leg.
- Hip-huggers are worn in a variety of different styles, sometimes "riding" low to expose the buttocks to varying degrees. There are also variations of hip huggers created with a material designed to stretch and tighter fitting stretch materials that vary in color. Hip-hugger jeans have been popular in the past during the 1960s and into the early 1980s. The hip-huggers of the 60s and 70s can be distinguished from those of the 90s by the tightness of the knee.
- Wide leg jeans are a style of clothing popularized in the mid-to-late 1990s, especially by men trying to achieve an "alternative" style. For men, the style is also called hip-hop clothing and remains popular with this subculture in 2008. The quintessential brand of 'hip-hop' style wide leg jeans was JNCO, though other youth and ethnic oriented clothing companies manufacture them as well.
- Skinny jeans have a snug fit through the legs and end in a small leg opening. Other names for this style include carrot leg pants, cigarette pants, drainpipes, peg leg pants, pencil pants, skinny pants, slimjims, tapered pants, old-school hood jeans or ice-cream cone pants. In some styles, zippers are needed at the bottom of the leg to facilitate pulling them over the feet. Stretch denim, with anywhere from 2% to 4% spandex, may be used to allow jeans to have a super-slim fit. Skinny jeans are worn by both males and females, and since 2005 has become increasingly popular with the emo, scene, and skater styles.
- A Jort (or Jorts, plural), a portmanteau of "jean-shorts", is a garment worn by women or men that covers the pelvic area, the buttocks, and the upper part of the legs (typically the part above the knee). Jorts are types of shorts that are made only from denim.